Cookin’ Up a Batch!

CASE STUDY – from the files of Integral…………

When INTEGRAL visited the site, it was quite evident that the residence had been used as a drug lab. All the plumbing fixtures had been used to mix the chemicals to manufacture the drugs. The highly volatile mixture had apparently been cooked on the stove, producing Methamphetamine or similar drugs.

Methamphetamine is commonly known as “speed,” “meth,” and “chalk.” In its smoked form it is often referred to as “ice,” “crystal,” “crack,” and “glass.” It is a white, odorless, bitter-tasting crystalline powder that easily dissolves in water or alcohol.



This mixture caught fire on the stove in the kitchen sending a yellow smoke throughout the kitchen, eating area, living room, and hall. Judging by the smoke flares around the doors to the utility room, bedroom, and master bedroom, these doors were closed when the fire occurred. However the utility room door was opened and closed during the fire as the adjacent bathroom was accessed frequently. This could be determined by the flares and smoke damage to the bathroom door.

It could also be assumed that the fire was put out with buckets of water or a garden hose because the yellow residue from the chemicals had saturated the lino in the kitchen and eating area and the carpets in the living room and hall. This residue had been tracked through into the master bedroom, bedroom and laundry room. All floor coverings except the ceramic tile needed to be replaced.



The pot on the stove had been moved to the front wood porch and spilled onto the deck.

 7he pot on the stove had been moved to the front wood porch and spilled onto the deck.


The kitchen, eating area, living room, and hall needed to be stripped down to open studs and sheathing as well as the bedroom walls that backed onto the kitchen and hall. All plumbing fixtures and the hot tub needed to be replaced because the residue left by the chemicals ate into the finish. The hot and cold air ducts needed to be changed as well.


The rancher had still been in the construction stage, and this little party resulted in $150,000 in damages.